This is a short but sweet post today, a very special day for Expecting Sunshine! Also, sharing a powerful article on bereaved mom, Nancy Kerrigan.
I still remember the day I signed the publishing contract with She Writes Press. From the day I signed it was roughly a year till my book was slated to be released. It felt like an eternity. And yet, here we are!
I cannot express what a journey it has been to get Expecting Sunshine out into the world. Here are some specifics for you:
- 6 months of writing the first draft
- 120,000 word, 400 page first draft
- 4+ years of editing
- 8 drafts of editing
- 3 editors
- 1 agent
- 1 (Amazing) publisher, Brooke Warner at She Writes Press
- 2+ book cover designers
- 3 (Fabulous) publicists at Smith Publicity
- April 18, 2017!
- 1 tired but happy author!
I have so many people to thank! And I do name them all in my book in the acknowledgements section. As I’ve just got word that Time Magazine’s site, Time Motto, wants me to write an essay for them on miscarriage (YAY! BIG NEWS!!), I will thank all the wonderful people who have made such a huge difference for me by including pics of my acknowledgements from Expecting Sunshine! This is a bit of a sneak peak inside the book as well.
More Exciting News:
Article in Womanista:
I got interviewed for a very special article about Nancy Kerrigan’s experience of multiple miscarriages, which she shared about on Dancing With The Stars.
You can read the article by clicking here. In it I share all the things I’ve learned over my years as a bereaved mom and since becoming a parent advocate, author and public speaker.
If you want to learn more about Nancy Kerrigan’s story, here is a powerful video:
Thank you so much for reading this pub day update!
If you’d like to purchase the book directly from me – for a signed copy – please click here. Expecting Sunshine is available wherever good books are sold.
Sending out warm wishes of love, hope and healing,
Alexis Marie Chute
Expecting Sunshine documentary still needs contributions to bring the film to life. We are still $4,860 short of our fundraising goal. This is where we need your help.
As the film is nearing completion in the editing stage, there are a few very special opportunities to get involved and support the project.
We have four contribution levels that will be closing soon. By November 30, 2016. These contribution levels all include personal or business names in the film credits. These credits will always be a part of the documentary, which will be shown all over the world.
This is your opportunity as a parent to remember your baby that died. Or to celebrate your child born after your loss. Your son or daughter’s name, or nickname, will be publicly acknowledged and celebrated. At the end of the day, this is what brings me the most joy with this film.
This is also an opportunity for businesses and professionals to join with the film in supporting those who grieve. Expecting Sunshine Documentary strives to bring attention to taboo topics, to remove the stigma around these types of losses and celebrate children! Children with us, and those that live on in our hearts.
PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING BEFORE NOVEMBER 30, 2016
“In Memory / Supporter / Rainbow Baby” Credit in THE FILM $250
A unique commemoration! We join with you in honouring your deceased child, your rainbow baby, or you as a supporter, by listing a name in the “In Memory / Supporter / Rainbow Baby” in the film credit reel. We dedicate this project to these individuals.
Please email Alexis Marie at email@example.com with the name you want commemorated.
Feature Film Credit $1,000
Not only a name, but with this film credit you also receive a photo of your deceased child or your rainbow baby, or business logo or honorary symbol of support, in the credit reel of the film.
Associate Producer Status $5,000
To celebrate your generosity for the project, we will name you an Associate Producer in the credits with a photo, logo or symbol to mark your support.
Executive Producer Status $10,000
To choose this perk means you’re our hero! You will be named an Executive Producer in the credits with a photo, logo or symbol to mark your support. You will also receive two VIP invitations to the premier of the film and unlimited good vibes sent your way.
Travel not included.
Thank you so much for reading and supporting this project. Even simply sharing this blog post will do a world of good.
Alexis Marie Chute
Thank you to everyone reading this update! There are a lot of awesome things happening with Expecting Sunshine documentary and memoir. I’m excited to share them with you, particularly this month, which is Pregnancy Loss and Infant Death Awareness Month.
Expecting Sunshine Memoir
- The book cover has been finalized! I love the bright colors. The rainbow umbrella is also very important to me. It references the rainbow pregnancy and rainbow baby. If you don’t know these terms, they mean the pregnancy and the baby born after loss.
- The official release date for the book is April 18, 2017 and it will be available at all places where books are sold.
- While April is still a few months away, you can pre-order your copy now with two handy ways to do so:
- I am accepting pre-orders for the book on my online store. You can visit the store by clicking here. Books ordered from the store will be signed and mailed out by yours truly : )
- You can also pre-order on Amazon. Check out Expecting Sunshine on Amazon by clicking here.
- Expecting Sunshine continues to receive wonderful testimonials from early readers. You can see many of these online by clicking here.
Expecting Sunshine Documentary
- Along with the book cover, the film cover has also been finalized. I love how the silhouette of the woman fades into watercolor marks at the bottom. This could be any woman, which is the point, that loss happens to so many women and families.
- The film is being edited right now and will be released around the time of the book, in the spring of 2017.
- Like the book, the film is also available for pre-order. You can place your pre-order now on my online store by clicking here. When the film is released in the spring, it will be a file which you can digitally download.
- We also have the pre-order available for the educational version, which comes with an audio visual public performance license agreement so that the film can be shown to support groups or at other events. Click here to order the educational version of the film.
We are continuing to fundraise for Expecting Sunshine Documentary!
I want to acknowledge our recent donor to the film:
Jamie and I met at the International Perinatal Bereavement Conference in Phoenix, Arizona earlier this fall. I really appreciate her vision and passion for the bereavement work that she does. Along with donating to the film, she also pre-ordered a copy to show to her grief support programs, along with copies of the book. Thank you so much Jamie!
If you would like to donate to Expecting Sunshine documentary, that would be WONDERFUL! Thank you in advance. We are so close to our fundraising goal, but still need all the support we can get.
I think that is all for now! More updates will come as Expecting Sunshine finds its home out in the world. Thank you for reading and for supporting and cheering on this important project on this even more important topic!
With much gratitude,
Alexis Marie Chute
JUNE FILM UPDATE
This time last year, I was still in the mental planning stage Expecting Sunshine Documentary. Now, in June 2016, we have captured all the interviews, creative scenes and recreations. I have talked to so many people who have lost children and gone on to have others.
Experts and parent advocates have shared their stories. We cover topics from the desire to parent again after loss, struggles in marriage, to welcoming the new baby. Healing looks different from person to person. The stories are sobering, heart-wrenching, but also encouraging and inspiring!
My film crew and I are now in a season of post-production and editing. This is where everything is being cropped, finessed and ordered. It is a huge process!
While I wish we were through the editing, we are allowing this stage to be a focused and intense time. Our topic is too precious to rush it. We hope to wrap up in a month or so. Then we will move into another transition. Distribution! We have already received confirmation from Shaw TV in Edmonton that they will screen the film. We are also submitting to film festivals and hope to locate a big network to show Expecting Sunshine. I have my fingers crossed for somewhere like W Network, the Women’s Network. This film deserves a great network with a wide reach. Cross your fingers on that.
I will continue to post here on this blog, keeping everyone updated on our progress. For now, here are some Expecting Sunshine film stills captured over the last six months.
Here is more information about Expecting Sunshine Documentary:
The documentary film, Expecting Sunshine, brings together the poetic prose and visual incarnations of the memoir, as experienced through the innovative, sometimes surreal, sensibilities of its creator.
The film documents an actual pregnancy of Alexis Marie Chute, as she grapples with the unique challenges of having a child after the death of child. With poignant narration from the memoir, along with new revelations and interesting interviews, the documentary casts fresh light on a private and isolating experience.
The documentary contains scenes across multiple seasons, and numerous locations – from Alberta, Canada, to Sedona, Arizona. It features real-life medical appointments, artistic manifestations, thought-provoking interviews with experts and bereaved families, and a comprehensive view from conception till the actual delivery. The film successfully avoids being a bland, sterile or sentimental expose. Instead, it is a collaborative and culturally relevant work of art.
As a filmmaker, Alexis Marie brings together her unique skillset as both a visual and literary communicator. She exposes unseen emotional and psychological challenges, curating them into an artistic presentation that will live on in the minds of viewers long after.
For broadcasting and screening inquiries, or if you are a network wishing to show the film, please contact Alexis Marie Chute directly: phone 780-499-4311, email firstname.lastname@example.org
This is an exciting time and one in which I have my priorities straight. I want to take this opportunity to thank our latest contributors! Expecting Sunshine Documentary will be a success because of our 55 backers and others on the way. This is a time of much gratitude!
THANK YOU TO OUR Latest CONTRIBUTORS:
Emily J Cohen
Audree Lepage Fortin
Bill & Charlotte Thompson
And our Anonymous contributors as well!
Captain Kick Ass
27 hours till our crowdfunding deadline!
We are in our Indiegogo crowdfunding homestretch with only 27 hours to go!
Will we make our goal? Can you help us out with that?
Expecting Sunshine Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign ends Monday night at midnight!
(That’s tomorrow! Or today depending on when you read this.)
We are 74% funded!
Just $6,420 to go!
HOW TO CONTRIBUTE:
- Visit our Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign by clicking here: http://igg.me/at/expectingsun
- On our campaign page you can read the story, watch the trailer and see how much has been donated.
- There are two ways to contribute:
- (1) Along the right side of the screen there is a list of “Perks,” which are ways we thank you for supporting the film. You can click on the perk you want, it will open up with more info, and you will be given payment options (credit card or paypal).
- (2) The other way, again on the right side of the screen but this time at the very top, you will see a white box that says “Your contribution” with a pink button below it that says “Contribute now.” There you can enter any amount (with this option you will not receive a “perk”). A new window will open and you can choose your payment method.